Friday, December 28, 2012

CZ P-07 Duty 9mm review


I am very, very happy with this gun.

I picked it up from the FFL on election day and since then I have shot it several times in three different states. I have put a few different types of ammo through it, field stripped and cleaned it twice, and painted the engraved parts of the magazines with white nail polish. I feel like I can now discuss the firearm in some detail.

Specs

The CZ P-07 is a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol with a polymer frame and metal slide. It is chambered in 9mm and has a capacity of 16+1 (16 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber; however, the springs in the mags are strong and I have yet to get more than 15 in there). It comes with Glock-style sights - the rear looks like |__| and the front is a single dot - and it has an accessory rail under the barrel for mounting lights or a laser. Size-wise it is similar to a Glock 19 and other "compact" pistols. One unique feature is the decocker, which comes installed, can be easily converted to a thumb safety. The parts to do this are included, which is very nice of CZ.

Field stripping is somewhat more complex than, say, a Glock. One side of the slide has a visible notch, as does the corresponding side of the frame. One hand is used to pull the slide back slightly to line these notches up; the other hand (and a punch, in my case) is used to pop out the slide lock. The slide can then be easily pushed forward. The firearm then disassembles into the slide, recoil spring and rod, barrel, and frame for cleaning.

The box comes with: the firearm, two 16-round magazines, cleaning brush and patch rod, lock, parts for installing the safety, and various pieces of paper (instruction manuals, test-fire reports, warranty card, etc).

How Does It Shoot?

Not like a compact, or like a polymer frame, that's for sure. Owing to the structure of the firearm, particularly the slide, shooting this gun is easy and has the feel of a heavier and larger piece. The slide, uniquely, rides inside of the frame - I am not a gun physicist but I believe this is the reason that it shoots so nicely (something to do with "bore axis"). Recoil is minimal and I have found it very easy to ride the recoil and re-position my shot quickly and accurately. You really have to try it to feel how minimal the recoil is - from the way it handled I thought it was a metal frame when I first shot it at the range as a rental.

Ergonomics are extremely important and the P-07 does not disappoint in this area. My hand can get really close into the beaver tail and I find it easy to have a strong grip on the gun. There is good stippling on the sides of the handle and ridges on the rear, all of which contribute to a strong grip. The magazine release is easy to reach and can be shifted over to the other side for leftie shooters. On the polymer frame, just below the slide and next to the slide lock, there is a stippled strip - this seems intended for the thumb of the non-trigger hand, and helps with a "thumbs forward" grip - a very clever feature. These strips are on both sides and are visible in the photos.

I am admittedly not a trigger connoisseur, but the trigger feels nice. There is an audible and tactile "click" when it resets, and the single-action feels right, between a hair trigger and requiring too much force, perhaps leaning toward easy. I rarely fire the gun double action so I will not comment on that.

I have run Federal range, Federal red box stuff from Wal-Mart, Winchester white box, CCI brass and aluminum case, PMC, and Federal Hydra-Shok hollow points in 115 and 124 grain, and the gun has shot them all. My first trip out to the range with it I had a few strange failures, but none since.

What's Not to Love?

Some issues - the spring is heavy and as a result it can be somewhat difficult to pull the slide back. I realized this for sure last week when I shot my P-07 alongside my brother-in-law's M&P9 - the M&P's slide is far easier to rack. There is heavy serration on the rear of the slide, but every once in a while I'll hold it wrong and it will slip out of my fingers, a rather uncomfortable feeling. The size of the gun and the heft of the slide no doubt require such a heavy spring, but it's absolutely worth your time to hold it and manipulate the slide before you buy. The slide lock is also somewhat stiff and weird. It is usable, and in my time with it I haven't found a lot of need to lock back the slide regularly, so this isn't much of an issue, but be aware. Field stripping the gun is difficult and awkward to me, but I suspect this will improve with practice.

This is not CZ's fault but market penetration is not nearly as high as Glock, S&W, or the other larger manufacturers. You won't find holsters that fit the P-07 at Walmart, for example, and I have found approximately one set of aftermarket sights. Be aware of this if aftermarket parts and customization is important for you. A Ruger 10/22 this ain't.

At the End of the Day

I went looking for an affordable gun from a reliable manufacturer that felt good in the hand and was easy to shoot. I did enough research and test fires that I didn't feel like I was flying blind or taking a chance with this one, but it was still my first handgun and I think I would have been bummed out if I got something that didn't feel extremely right for me. This gun feels extremely right for me. Do your research and shoot everything you can if you're in the market for a gun, but the CZ P-07 Duty has fully lived up to my expectations.

Glamour Shots


Slide open, magazine inserted. Thumb stippling visible in front of slide lock, decocker is behind slide lock. Lanyard loop at bottom of handle visible.


Slide closed, with magazine. Hammer back in single action position. "CZ-USA, Kansas City, KS" visible. 


4 comments:

  1. My CZ P-07 9mm is the third CZ I've owned (including a 7.62x25mm CZ52 from 1984, and a CZ-75B w/ Omega trigger). You made a great choice - CZs are accurate, reliable, and ergonomically amazing. Also, it's nice to have something different than the near ubiquitous Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs. I (sadly) sold my 75B, but I imagine that I'll replace it. Or pick up a SP-01 or PCR. Decisions, decisions. Congrats on a great handgun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just need to lower the price for new magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a P07 and would like any assistance I can get with installing a Trijicon RMR type sight to my P07. Will the slide require milling? or is there a mounting plate that will fit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased this gun myself (9-19-13) I absolutely love it, id say for the most with everything mentioned above, he's pretty much spot on, with the exception to the slide (I personally have no problem whatsoever racking my P07 9mm.Id say once you buy it, clean the heck out of it, oil it all up & then racking it over & over if you think it feels stiff. That should help loosen it a lil anyhow. Great gun tho, mine came with a nebro light that installs on the rail (Super Bright light for its size). All in all Great gun dont hesitate for a sec to buy one, There far more accurate, reliable & built to last than just about anything else in its price range.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete