Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Shoot report: Parma Woods, Parkville, MO

Cast of Characters:
Alex M. (AM)
Alex H. (AH)
Myself

Weapons:
Colt M-16-style 22LR rifle
S&W .357/.38SPL revolver
Ruger 10/22
Sig Mosquito

Both of the Alexes are work friends. AM shoots regularly and owns a couple of guns; AH is new to it and has only shot a handful of times, mostly with AM and myself. 

The morning of Saturday the 21st, the three of us set off for Parma Woods, a public, outdoor range operated by the Missouri Department of Conservation. It was about 30 min. from Overland Park - the trip includes a quick jaunt through the quaint-looking downtown Parkville.

The first thing I noticed about Parma Woods is that there are RULES and they are to be FOLLOWED. The Alexes were having a smoke so I went up to put my name in and pay. I was holding my range bag in one hand and my rifle, uncased, in the other hand. I was gripping my rifle behind the trigger group, finger nowhere near the trigger, and pointing it toward the ground. Walking to the man who took names I learned that I was noncompliant in two ways - the rifle bolt was closed and it was pointed at the ground. I put my bag down to lock the bolt open and was informed that it had to be pointing up while I did so. I am not complaining about all the safety here, but if you go just be aware that this is not the kind of place that plays it fast and loose with the rules.

AH and I were new so we had to watch a 6-minute video about procedures. Boy are there procedures! Here's how the range works:

     -Cease-fires are called every 15 minutes. When cease fire is called, you must fully unload your weapon, lock the bolt open, place the weapon in either the pistol or rifle rack with the muzzle in the air, leave the booth, hook up a yellow plastic chain in front of the booth, and change a colored metal placard from orange to green.

     -When everyone has followed this procedure, the target area is open to patrons to go out, change their targets, or move their target holder from one of the target sockets to another, closer or farther away.

     -When done with this you sit back on the bench outside the booth, switch your placard back to orange (or black if you're done shooting), and wait. Once everyone is orange and the range is clear, you're free to reenter your booth to shoot again or clean up.

The staff here is vigilant and enforces rules regularly. The guys next to us fired one shot out of their shotgun before a RSO came up to them and informed them that shooting shotguns at the short distance they were is not allowed - apparently it chews up the foam target holders too much. AM was informed that it was necessary to wait 3 seconds in between shots of his 22LR M-16 - a rule that, for example, The Bullet Hole has on the books but doesn't seem to enforce except in really egregious cases (AM's firing was not one of these egregious cases).

This safety has a point, and again, I'm not complaining - just pointing out that shooting here is a very regimented experience. It sometimes felt like we were spending just as much time seated on the bench waiting to shoot as we were shooting.

Overall, though, I liked Parma Woods and will be going back soon. Being outside is nice - lower noise levels, no ventilation to worry about, and just being out in the elements instead of a hot, dark indoor range. Parma Woods provides free ear and eye protection, targets, and bench rests - the latter of which I had never used before, but really enjoyed and was able to put to good use in learning my 10/22's sights a little better. The price is also quite right - $3 per booth, per hour. The three of us paid maybe $6 in total (not each) for a solid hour and a half.

In short, if you're ok with a little more procedure than you'd get at your typical indoor range, Parma Woods is worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment